Thursday, December 10, 2009

A New Christmas Experience



One thing that has been hard this year, since I have been away, has been the change in the Christmas Season. Normally at this time of year it is cold, there is snow on the ground and Christmas decorations up everywhere and I have been listening to Christmas music for a month. I have helped decorate the tree and have started thinking about what I am going to give as gifts to those I love. By this time I have already had a delicious glass of eggnog and more than one mug of hot apple cider. I have eaten an entire box of Christmas oranges myself, I have worn a turtle neck several times and have been sporting my winter jacket for quite some time. I have gone to the Messiah, if I didn't have the opportunity to sing in it, and I have gone to the First Presidency Christmas Devotional with my family.

This year none of those things have happened. Nope this year my Christmas Season has been very different. I have spent every morning up on the roof tanning in the hot Mexican sun, I don't even have a jacket in my wardrobe down here. I have seen only one stand selling Christmas trees and only a few stores sporting or selling Christmas decorations. I haven't heard hardly any Christmas music and I haven't seen a flake of snow. However as I have thought about the Christmas season I have realized that although there are very few things down here that are familiar to me, we still are preparing to celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. As I was sitting up on the roof yesterday I was thinking about all the things I have missed about Christmas back home. As I was sitting there thinking the school just down the street from us started to play the song "White Christmas" over their loud speaker. Although it was in Spanish I knew what the words were and I was grateful for one of the Lord's tender mercies in making sure I knew that I was loved and remembered this Christmas. It was a nice gift and made me realize that it is not the snow and the eggnog and the decorations that make Christmas special. President Monson's and President Eyring's talks at the Christmas Devotional also reminded me of that. The Spirit of Christmas always seems to find us and now I am trying to keep my eyes open for the unique gifts that I have been able to enjoy here in Mexico this Christmas season.

I was reminded of one this week by my mother when she talked to me about taking a picture of some of the beautiful trees that I see everyday. Right outside my classroom door there is a beautiful poinsettia tree growing. Those flowers are ones that I associate with Christmas but I hadn't appreciated the blessing it was for me to be able to look at that beautiful tree every single day until I received that gentle reminder. What is another thing I always enjoy at Christmas? Mandarine Oranges! I love them and like I said before I could almost surely finish an entire box myself if I so desired. I have a Mandarine tree out behind my classroom also as well as a huge orange tree. Every single day my students at Discovery and I pick mandarine oranges from that tree and enjoy them together. I have eaten more than a box this year and I have been able to enjoy them for much longer than usual. They are the sweetest most delicious mandarines I have ever tasted and I get to eat them right off the tree.



My dessert today for lunch

Although my Christmas season has been very different this year I cannot say that it has been any less enjoyable. I have learned to focus on those things that are most important. It's not the showy things that we all associate with Christmas. It is the Spirit that we feel as we celebrate and focus on our Savior and our families. I love my family with all of my heart and I miss each and everyone of them. Merry Christmas everyone!! I can't wait to be home with all of you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment