Tuesday, December 22, 2009

CoMidA

Thursday was quite a day, it was busy and kind of sad. I think it kind of started to hit me that I only had a couple of days left in Tehuacan as we started cleaning out the apartment and the school. It was almost depressing. We went out for breakfast, after most of the teachers came to help clean up all the closets, etc. at the place that makes the best chiliaquiles verdes in town. Ummmmm sooo good! Savannah and I shared which was perfect because there is no way I could have finished one on my own. We had a nice visit and then I went back to the school to keep packing before I had to go for lunch.

Ya I know.... When you're hot, you're hot! Right A-rod??

Me and Savannah

Sandy, Kelsey and Brooke

Chelsea, Kathy and Kami

Dusty and Savannah

As we were walking back to the school Savannah and I were talking about some of the things we love about Mexico. Some of the thing that we are going to miss. One of the things that we both agree we love about this country is that they are still so focused on family. Every single day everyone in the family gets time off to go for lunch and the entire family goes. Cousins, grandparents, aunts and uncles. Every single day is spent with your family and it is important to everyone. At home we don't take the time for our families like we should. Even as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, where we are taught about the importance of family and spending time together as a family we don't do it often enough. We get too caught up in the busy lifestyle that everyone has. I cannot think of anyone back home who doesn't live that way, everyone is busy and everyone just packs their schedule so full that you rarely can enjoy time with your family. If you do spend time with them it is on vacation or on the weekends, most definitely not every day. We also talked about the slower pace, how you can enjoy the day, it doesn't just rush by. It is so nice to live that way. I am nervous that as soon as I get home, I'm going to start work, I'm going to start soccer and then fill up all my other time with my social life that I'm not going to forget that. I still worked a full day in Mexico, but it was different. I hope I can remember the lessons I have started to learn while I have been down here. I hope that I can keep the important things at the top of my priority list and that I don't get so busy that I forget about those I love and the things I love. That would be a very sad day!

At 3:00 we had to be at the Discovery school so that we could go to Dani and Pepe's house for lunch. Their dad gave us a ride and tried very hard to speak English to us which I greatly appreciated. When we arrived they told us that their house was under construction and apologized for the confusion. As we walked through the gate, I was shocked. The home they were building is beautiful and their yard is also. The whole place was beautiful.

Ashley and Me by their beautiful poinsettia trees

Me with my favorite Mexican Twins!
Because of all the construction going on they didn't set up a Christmas tree. This tree near the back of their yard is what they decorated and what they were going to use for their tree that year.

A beautiful well they had for decoration near the front of their yard

This is where we ate lunch. The window looks out from a small kitchen and then right beside that is a beautiful dining area and then some couches and a small party area. This I think would normally be used for parties, etc but they were using it temporarily

A mini palm tree... how cool!


This is the view of their home from the front gate... well minus all of us. It was such a nice afternoon with Pepe and Dani's family. They were so thoughtful. Their mother makes the most delicious treats, I have no idea what they would even be called, but she insisted that we try some of those. Lunch was just so so so good. She made the most amazing bean tortilla soup. Plus we had a delicious salad and the chicken (pollo) was so good too. Mmmm she was a good cook! It was just a very very very nice afternoon!

Their beautiful home

Me with their family

We had to rush back to the school and get ready because we had to be at the ILP program at 4:30, but it was a wonderful afternoon and it was too bad it had to end so quickly. Dani and Pepe's mother have a friend who actually lives in Calgary and she told me she would ask them where they get good Mexican food. I'm hoping I can find some good authentic food when I get home. It will just never be the same though.

No comments:

Post a Comment