Friday, September 4, 2009

Welcome to Tehuacan!!



Well, I made it. Unfortunately I cannot say that it was without trouble because it was not but it was without disaster. I flew from Calgary to Houston with no problems. I was exhausted after staying up all night and so I fell asleep before take off and woke up about five minutes before we landed. I didn't have anyone sitting beside me either and so I was able to snuggle up across three seats with a some pillows and a blanket. Probably the best flight of my life. I had a couple hours lay over in Houston which was uneventful and then off to Mexico City. Again the flight was great, except for some turbulence for the last ten minutes or so and then I was there. Mexico City is huge, I couldn't get over how big it was and how busy it was and yet how dirty it was. The entire time I was there all I wanted to do was go find Morgan but I had enough trouble finding my bus. After being approached as soon as I was through customs by fifty men asking if I needed a taxi I found refuge in the women's washroom where I could figure out where I needed to go next. My instructions told me I needed to get a calling card so that I could get a hold of Rachel in Tehuacan and then I needed to get to the bus station where I could buy my ticket. I had no idea where to even begin. Thankfully I spotted someone who had been on my flight from Calgary and so I knew they spoke English. I asked them for some help and they were so kind and willing to get a phone card for me as well as point me to the bus stop. I purchased my ticket and then had to wait about forty minutes until the bus would leave and take me to Puebla Cabu. Then I tried to phone Rachel, no luck. Those phone cards are hard to use when you don't know what the phone says or what the recording on the other line is saying. Finally I just used my cell phone out and called the ILP office in Utah. Casey got in touch with everyone and then I the wait began.

While I was waiting a man by the name of Juan came and introduced himself. I don't know how old he was, probably Dad's age and he was very kind. He spoke little English but enough that I could communicate with him a little bit. I quickly realized how little Spanish I do know... he was patient with me though. We finally got on the bus and then I listened to music and watched a movie (without the sound because it was in Spanish) on the two hour bus ride to Puebla. There is a picture of Mexico City I took as we were driving. Its all concrete!

Monica was supposed to meet me in Puebla and help me get on the busy to Tehuacan but I couldn't find her when I got there. It was dark and late and there were a lot of men at the bus station so I wanted to get out of there. I only have 15 min to make the bus so instead of looking for Monica I went and bought my bus ticket and with Juan's help I made it to the correct terminal. He kept telling me to be super careful and that it was dangerous which didn't give me much confidence. I again tried to call someone in Tehuacan and couldn't figure out this dumb card so I called ILP again with my cell phone. Casey was a bit stressed about it all but I got on the right bus and he called Ashley and Teo to tell them I was on my way to Tehuacan. I made it in one piece and Ashley and Teo were there as soon as I got of the bus. Then Teo took us out for gringas el pastor (delicious by the way) and then took me to my new home.

Its great! Ashley and I were both exhausted but we ended up talking for several hours anyway. To say the least we were a little bit tired today. But our place is great. I'm very grateful that I have the situation I do. I get to meet a lot of the host families this way and my days are not as long because I don't have to travel home after I teach at the school. Our apartment is attached to the ILP school, its great!

This is the place, not much to look at, but for Mexico its perfect! The one room is emptied out because we actually use it to teach in. The room Ashley is on the computer in is just our spare bed room and it is messy because all of the teachers use it. With that many people in it it gets a little bit crazy.





Today I just went to all of the classes and now I'm getting really excited about starting teaching on Monday. I love the kids already and its going to be so much fun. A bunch of us are hanging out at the house right now and chatting. I have tons of new friends and I love them all!

Love you all and watch for more updates soon! We have a BBQ tomorrow :-)

3 comments:

  1. "I fell asleep before take off and woke up about five minutes before we landed." haha, you would! Enjoy your trip amigo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best way to travel is asleep, although I can't do that cuz I snore so loud everyone would think the plane was crash landing ... sounds like a great start to a fantastic trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. sarah, i'm so glad you were safe! i was praying for you all day and night, and i'm sure i wasn't the only one! that must have been freaky! i must say though, smart move with the washroom! ;) it sounds like your having fun already! miss you!
    Love Lou

    ReplyDelete