Thursday, September 17, 2009

Huatulco

Okay so after the longest day in Oaxaca we took another overnight bus to Huatulco. Again I didn't get much sleep but did get quite a bit of reading done again. In fact I only had two chapters left in my book when we arrived in Huatulco that morning. It was a long night, I slept for half an hour stretches a couple of times but on a nine hour bus ride that isn't very satisfying.

When we arrived in Huatulco the weather was beautiful and we were all starving so we went for breakfast right away. We had so much luggage too because we had to add all of the purchases we had gotten in Oaxaca. During breakfast I finished my "Secrets in Zarahemla" book which was so good, but I wasn't sure what I was going to do while I was on the beach for two days after that. Thankfully Kami, who was only in the first chapter of her book agreed to switch me books so that I had something to read. What a nice friend. After we finished eating we checked into our hostel and finally had a place to leave our luggage before we left to go shopping and relax on the beach.





The beach was beautiful and the water was nice and warm. It was really busy which was too bad and I think we had a big red sign above us that drew people's attention. As soon as stepped out of the taxi we were approached by people who wanted to take us snorkeling and jet skiing or men who wanted us to eat at their restaurants. I think it was pretty obvious that we were an easy sell but thankfully with six of us we weren't as easy to convince. We ended up choosing the worst place to eat though and it was super frustrating to try to get them to hurry up and bring us our food and our cheque. The food wasn't even that great but oh well, we didn't starve and we were able to sit in the shade. Brooke and Dusty went and explored a little bit while we waited and we just sat and the rest of us read our books.





I read my new book and then listened to my iPod and tried to get some sleep while I laid in the sun. Adri and Kami fell asleep on their towels and Ashley and I just enjoyed watching everything that was going on after sitting around for a while. One man who's name was Geremy who spoke English quite well kept coming and offering to take us snorkeling. He came and talked to Ashley and I for a while and asked us where we were from and what we were doing in Mexico. He said that there were a lot of people from Alberta who visited Mexico often which I thought was interesting. Huatulco was really pretty and cute but holy smokes the shopping was expensive compared to Tehuacan.

Ashley's is a Mexican symbol of a monkey

Mine is a Mexican symbol of "The Rabbit on the Moon"



Ashley, Edward and I
This guy Edward and his brother Freddy came up to Ashley and I and asked if they could take some pictures with us. We said yes and then they asked our names and where we were from. Then they asked us if we wanted to go dancing with them at a club that night. We may have told a little white lie and said that we were leaving that night to avoid the situation but they were sweet. We ended up giving them an email address that we never use which some of the other people we were traveling with didn't approve of. I think it was harmless and they were very kind to us. It was a good laugh and Geremy kept walking by and seemed a little bit jealous of the fact that those guys were talking to us. Ashley and I had a good laugh about it.


One of my favorite pictures of Ashley and I... the CocaCola is much better down here in Mexico by the way

We had dinner at this little hole in the wall and it was way delicious, I had a torta and a quesadilla and tacos. I ate a lot but it was super good food!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah! How is it possible that you didn't sleep on that bus?! from our traveling experiences you were out like a light the moment you sat on any moving vehicle! HAHA! Oh well! i'm glad you were safe!

    ReplyDelete