Sunday, September 6, 2009

Dance the night away...


This weekend has been so much fun! Who doesn't want to dance with Mexicans and watch soccer and go shopping?

That pretty much sums it up so I don't have much else to share... just kidding! Saturday we had our Welcome BBQ which was so much fun. We had delicious food, Teo made us so much food I thought I was going to explode. I think I won for eating the most food, not sure. Seven tacos is a heck of a lot though. Carly, LJ and Carly all came down from Puebla to hang out and go dancing with us and it was super fun. They went shopping too in the evening. Most of the BBQ I just held Mary Caroline (Teo and Rachel's one month old baby) the whole time. She is so beautiful and it was so nice to have a good snuggle... there is nothing better than holding a baby!




After eating myself into a coma it was time to learn how to dance. Everyone else has already had lessons but it was my first time. I waited until I was the only one that hadn't gone yet (except Bethany who refuses to go) and then I danced with Teo. He is such a talented dancer and Rachel can't dance for two more months until she recovers from Mary Caroline's delivery. Instead he is patient and teaches us all how to dance. It is called the Cumbia and it is so much fun. Teo told me he was super surprised at how good of a dancer I was after just one time. I sure love it, I'm going to be awesome when I get home!! The trouble will be finding a good partner because that is crucial.




After that we went to the supermarket and bought my list of things I needed.
  • pillow
  • notebook
  • fruit
  • toothpaste
  • hairspray
  • lighter
  • toilet paper
  • food
It was getting pretty stressful without my toothpaste and hairspray. Oh an my new pillow is so much better than the folded up blanket which is what I was using. It would have worked but this is much nicer. We did get a whole bunch more food which was nice to have this weekend. I'm actually very much looking forward to eating all of it. We just need to go get more tortillas from the factory tomorrow though or we won't survive the week.

After we got back from the supermarket our plan was to chill at the apartment and watch a movie and enjoy the evening because we were so tired. We ordered tacos. Oh yes... one of my favorite things about Mexico that I forgot to mention is that you can order tacos like you order pizza in Canada. They are so delicious! Mmmm I had 4 tacos al pastor which were divine! Then Juan Pablo called us to invite us to a party. So Ashley, Bethany, Dusty, Kelsey, Savannah, Chelsea and I all went to this party. Costa Rica vs Mexico football pretty much made my night. Mexico won 3-0, they played awesome and it was fun to watch with hard core fans too. We wen to Savannah's host family's garden area... it just has like a kitchen/bar area at the far end and it is just a walled garden. It was super fun. After watching the game we danced some more and then they taught us a new dance called Banda. It was pretty amazing but also a little bit racy... a dance I likely will not be doing with anyone down here in Mexico. Maybe with some boyfriends or husbands back home but thats about it. I have this video but it is sideways (sorry)... pretty neat I think!








Savannah was embarrassed after showing us her dancing skills. She can shake her boody like no one I've ever met! We did enjoy some American music too which was nice. Bethany is crazy hilarious when we are dancing with her. We had a really good time. It was a night full of fun and embarrassment and laughter. It was a good time we had a lot of fun.


After a fun night out on the town dancing we enjoyed church today. I most definitely did not enjoy not understanding any of the lessons etc but it was nice. I did learn a few words ad enjoyed the spirit that was there during Fast and Testimony Meeting. Our Sunday School teacher kept reminding us that our class was for everyone no matter where you are from. It was nice meetings and then this afternoon we just hung out at home. I talked on recently the phone with my wonderful family and then Ashley and Bethany and I watched a movie and just hung out until just recently. (midnight) Now I'm falling asleep typing this so I better go to bed. I have to teach tomorrow too and I'll make sure I update you about my first lessons but right now its time for bed!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah you are so cute with that baby! the dancing sounds like a ton of fun! you'll have to teach me some of your new moves when you get back! glad your having fun! love you!

    ReplyDelete