Friday, September 11, 2009

My First Week

Well the last few days have been great. We have gone out for dinner and had the most amazing food this week. Classes have been amazing too!

Wednesday was Sandy's birthday and she had invited us to go to dinner with her and her family on Thursday night. We will be going to dinner with them every Thursday night actually. We went to this small little restaurant and we had the most delicious things called burritas. Sandy told us they were the girlfriend of the burritos. Whatever they were they were so good. They were spicy too but too delicious not to eat.

Adri, Ashley and I with two of Sandy's kids Vanilka and Arad

Probably the most exciting thing that happened this week was finding the best Laundromat ever. They charge you based on the weight of all of your clothes. They wash them, dry them and fold them for you and you just pick it up the next day. They do such a good job and its really cheap to do it. The most expensive one I have had to pay for was 40 pesos which is less than 4 dollars for half of my laundry. Pretty much the best thing ever and to make a good thing even better it is only like three blocks from my apartment. Wahoo!!

Me and some of my Discovery girls
Frida, Daniela and Anaisabel

This is most of my Discovery Class
Pepe, Miguel, Santi, Anaisabel, Frida, Daniela and Raul in front

Today was a great day but full of some super crazy events also. We have opening every day with our group at Discovery. Already the kids were super excited about getting out early because they were having a huge party at the school. It was hard enough to get them to quiet down and then they started going crazy. They wouldn't stop repeating everything Ryan said. It ended in them chanting that Mexico beat the United States in soccer 5-0. Every time Ryan would try to get them to quiet down they would scream even louder so that no one could hear him. It was an interesting start to the day. We split into classes and had some a fun class. We did a really neat science experiment and we also have done a lot of reading. The kids are so smart and I've had so much fun. We learned that ICE EXPANDS and takes up more space that liquid water. I taught them some new words like 'hypothesis' and 'prediction' it was a good class. Then the kids got to do store which they have been looking forward to all week.

Adri and I at the Discovery Party

They even had cotton-candy

ILP's class went great. I love those girls. Today I only had three so we talked about our experiment for a bit and then did some reading and played some games. We played pictionary and then the person who guessed the word then had to use it in a proper sentence. It was a good lesson. Then at the end we listened to some music and I learned that the best way to become these girls best friend was watch the video to Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me" song. They are so awesome. We took some pictures and Idalia left me a sweet note on the board that I made sure to take a picture of. Now I can look at it after I have terrible classes and remember why I'm teaching.

Me with Andy (Andrea), Katya and Idalia

Katya and I

Idalia and I


After school Idalia's mom brought Sandy a cake for her birthday and it was delicious. Then we went to Teo's Taco place and had an absolutely delicious dinner with everyone. We just got home from there and I just got off skype. We have about three hours until we have to leave to catch the bus at the church to go to Oaxaca in the morning. I'm super excited about this trip. It will be a lot of fun! Hopefully I get some sun and have some fun in the process. I'll update you as soon as I get back!

Happy Birthday Sandy!




1 comment:

  1. Sarah those kids are so cute! I'm so glad your having fun! Sounds like your learning lots to! Have fun! miss you! love you!

    P.S. Who wouldn't want to watch Taylor's Music Video? Love it!

    ReplyDelete